2010-02-01

Lies, All Lies!

I have a new camera. (This is not a lie.) It's fairly nice, for a point and shoot (digital), but it doesn't have a viewfinder. I knew this was going to bother me,but it was a deal otherwise, and very few of the cameras available where I was had viewfinders anyway, so I went for it. My current trip will be a real test.

Also on the downside, its lens doesn't fit into my binoculars - with my old camera, I would use binoculars to up my zoom. This camera does have a better zoom ... but I did like the binocs trick. (Plus, its a great conversation-starter. Still, people with serious cameras & lenses probably thought I was hopeless. I haven't done a lot of testing and am still curious to see how new zoomed & cropped pictures compare to old binoc-zoomed pictures.)

Taking pictures today, I realized the lie to which my title refers. It wasn't intentional. But some people surely think that all my trip pictures have come from this older camera, which was on its last legs about a year ago. And that's a lie. Truth is, access to a digital research camera with much better features allowed me to take some of those great shots on previous trips. So I have to apologize to all of you who thought that my little p&s did all that heavy lifting. Cause I am not that good a photographer.

I am trying to learn some of the advanced features on my new camera, though to be honest I don't yet understand what an "f-stop" value really means. Some of the ways I can adjust settings are different - I already miss my old white-balance controls - but I am sure that if I take the time to learn this camera, it will be a great improvement. I might try sticking to new-camera pictures for awhile on here.

For those of you not interested in picture-taking details - sorry. Especially since I am not even posting a picture with it!! I hope to have more to report on, and a picture or 2 to share, soon!

PS - The sad news I must report is limited hot cocoa availability ... I will have to pick some up myself when I get the chance .. but I did bring chocolatey snacks, and have lots of good food & drink available, so have no fear.

3 comments:

Lida said...

oooooohhh. I know you are missing that 24X7 hot chocolate....

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the photos. Good luck learning to use the camera.

BrownieCentral said...

FYI 24/7 hot cocoa has been restored! Yumm.