2009-02-11

perspectives

Each research trip, each research experience, for me has been unique. This trip is no different, with new things to discover and new perspectives to consider. I mentioned before that I would be helping others out with their work for the second part of my trip, and it's been enlightening to see them in action more closely and to better understand (and appreciate!) what it is they do all day. It also allows me to see the trip through their eyes, and gain a little of their perspective.

Recently we had a farewell party for all those who are headed home soon, like me. Of course it's fun to talk with everyone over good food, drinks and dancing, even if it's not my playlist in the background. It's also fun to see what everyone is like in that environment, which is so different from our day-to-day. While many people are just what you'd expect from them at a party, others can really surprise you. I just think it's neat how different situations bring out such different sides of our personalities.

It's also fun to consider the perspectives of the animals seen down here. Their life histories are so far removed from our own, that it is hard to appreciate why those penguins leap into those heavy waves, or how the wandering albatross (see photo on right) is constantly at sea. We talk about what it would be like to be them, and each pick which life we'd want to experience ourselves. I was recently reminded that these species have typically spent as much time, or more, than we have, adapting to their environment and niche, which they specialize at so well. One cannot look down on them, but just look across, and try to appreciate something so foreign.

So, as I bid farewell to penguins, and start my return trip North, I will be thinking about the new perspectives I've gained on this trip, and what I can learn from them. I hope the trip back to Argentina and on to the States is a calm one. Whatever the weather, I will also be enjoying some simple, yummy brownies I recently acquired. :)

No comments: