2008-12-07

Gentoos

Saturday. Well, today was pretty busy and fairly routine. Surveys on a few different groups, a few different places. A fair amount of slogging through deep snow. Actually, it reminded me of how top-heavy my backpack is - well, the small zip pockets are all at the top - the rest is just one big space - so most of the stuff I want easy access to is up top. Don't think that'll change, but it does make me wonder ow I could improve it. Today had rapidly changing weather, from sun to snow and back to sun, the edge of the storm cloud slicing across the sky like the blade of a knife. (Now accepting better analogies. Similes? Sorry, my brain is tired.) Some really nice weather here and there, lighting up the white of the snow, the blue of the iceberg, the red of the gentoo's beak.

Today's penguin time was split between Adelies and Gentoos, so perhaps it's appropriate that I follow up on my last post and say a word about the gentoos. Like the adelies (and chinstraps), they are "brush-tailed" penguins. They are the northernmost of the brush-tailed penguins, and can be recognized by white markings above their eyes, and very red beaks. As the northernmost of the group, the gentoos are having basically the opposite response from the adelies to the changing climate - they are the ones benefitting from warmer winters and less pack ice. They seem to be popping up in new places, slowly spreading south, and doing pretty well in this part of the world. Watching them swim along the shore is always a fun pastime, when we get the rare chance to enjoy it. Still taking lots of pictures. Already have too many, really. But I've also already had to pick out my favorites so far. We had a traditional Patagonian dinner the other night, which was a lot of fun.

Sipping cocoa as usual (NOT my first cup today), and glancing out from time to time at the conditions. I never know what I'll see when I look out the window. I hope things are looking good out your windows tonight.

UPDATE - If you've been looking for DERs / Daily Expedition Reports in the link to the right, they are now being posted!

No comments: