2008-12-01

Traveling South.

November 30, 2008
A few days ago I traded in the DC area's cold weather and shortening days for the long summer days of Ushuaia, Argentina. The weather is still cool - not much warmer than home - and store windows still sport Santa Claus and Christmas Trees, but suddenly it's still light out at 10:00 at night. Checking out the local wildlife, I find the Crested Ducks and Flying Steamer Ducks with ducklings in tow. My mind still hasn't translated the breeding season for the Austral summer, even though I expect to see Penguins at their nests. Needless to say, I've already taken plenty of pictures, even if I haven't seen any penguins yet.

All I can say is, thank goodness my luggage arrived intact! Not everyone's reached us in time for the departure. After a few days of fun in Ushuaia, Argentina, I'm now headed south for Antarctica. Tonight begins the trip across the Drake Passage, infamous for bad weather & rough seas. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm tempted to see how far my cell phone coverage lasts ... but I've already shut it off, and likely I'm already out of range. In the meantime, I've started getting to know some of the international crew I'm working with, and learning my way around. It'll take some getting used to.

No comments: